Sunday, July 25, 2010

My intro in Chichewa

Ine dzina langa ndi Mike Dalious.
Ndimachokera ku America.
Mdimagwira ntchito ku Zomba City Council monga mulangizi waza HIV ndi Edzi.
Ndasangalala kukumana ndi inu.
Ndikuphunzira Chichewa pang'ono pang'ono.
Ndikusanglala ku Zomba!

Translation:
My name is Mike Dalious.
I am from America.
I work with the Zomba City Council as a HIV/AIDS advisor.
It is nice to meet you.
I am learning Chichewa little by little.
I am happy to be in Zomba!

I have got the greetings down and have started work on other useful phrases like "palibe vuto" = no problem and "tikupita" = let's go. The pronunciation is similar to Spanish, which is making the learning process a little easier for me. Fortunately, everyone I work with speaks English well, but they all enjoy teaching me new words and especially like hearing me say them with my funny accent.

1 comment:

  1. pang'ono pang'ono... poco a poco... I love it! Do you pronounce it like it looks? I definitely want to add that to my everyday sayings! I am so excited for what you are doing! Enjoy, and keep posting pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Map of Malawi