Saturday, June 26, 2010

Zomba

This week I was sworn in as a Peace Corps Response volunteer by the US ambassador to Malawi and began my year long service in the city of Zomba. I was excited to hear that I would be moving to Zomba as everyone was saying it was a beautiful place. I also knew that there was a plateau to the north of the city that would be great to hike, bike and climb. (The trout fishing is supposed to be very good also, so come on down dad!) It was the capital city of Malawi during the british colonial rule so there are broad treelined streets, colonial styled buildings and even a golf course that runs through the center of town.

I arrived yesterday afternoon and have not had much time to explore, but I am quickly falling in love with the place. My house is a few kilometers east of the city center in a well planned community called Matawale. It is small house surrounded by a brick wall and has a small front and back yard. I have electricity and indoor plumbing that includes an electric water heater for hot showers! It has a living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and three bedrooms. I am working on getting some furniture, but once I do I will be well equipped for visitors. There is even a great view of the plateau from my front porch, which is a great place for the morning cup of coffee.

There was a Peace Corps volunteer living in the house before I arrived, and she had made friends with the neighbors. So the first night I was here 12 year old Kenny came over to say hello and welcome me to the neighborhood. Tonight I was invited over to his house to say hello to everyone. They were all very nice and have lent me a shovel and hoe to work on my garden. Kenny walked me around the block to show me where the local store was located and then over to his aunt's house so that I could see the proper way to plant a garden. I am hoping to get to work on my garden this weekend.

Today was also my first day of work at the Zomba City Assembly. Malawi is working on decentralizing their government by giving more responsibilities to the 28 district assemblies and 4 city assemblies. One of their main roles is to coordinate the country's response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. I have been placed with the Zomba City Assembly to assist them with their HIV/AIDS strategic planning, coordination of stakeholders and monitoring & evaluation systems. I met some motivated people at the office today that are going to allow me to really enjoy my job over the next year. After only knowing each other for a few minutes we were able to share some of our experiences and analyze some of their current challenges and frustrations. I am sure that it will be a very trying year, but the fact that I am in it with some folks that really care about the work they are doing will mean a lot to me.
The city assembly is near the center of town and right next to the state house. It is situated on the hills coming down from the plateau and surrounded by tall trees. The front steps go down to a small stream running around the golf course. The banana trees and greenery give the place a tropical feel. As I said, it is an easy place to love.

I am hoping to make a trip to Blantyre city this weekend to visit one of my colleagues and buy some things, bike up the plateau and start the garden, so I will write more about this amazing place soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Map of Malawi