Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ice Cream and Frozen Pizzas

When I get frustrated and have an internet connection, I go to craigslist and search for used motorcycles in the Washington DC area. The other day I found a black 2002 BMW R1150R with 40K for $4500. It was almost too much to take, the thought of such a beautiful and powerful bike on the back roads of Virginia, free of goats and bicycles overloaded with charcoal swerving back and forth. It is fall now back home. The leaves must be changing colors and nothing sounds more appealing than a ride through the hills.

I am at that point in time when trip back to the US sounds very appealing. Work is going well, but it is the hot season and with the humidity at almost 100%, I sit in my office at 8am and begin to sweat. This time of year I can understand why things move slowly here. With your clothes sticking to you and your bug bites itchy, thoughts can quickly slip from urban health indicators and the procedures to collect them to a cold drink in the early evening with friends back home. Air conditioning, good restaurants and even supermarkets make for exciting thoughts. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to be here, but a short hiatus back to the land of ice cream and frozen pizzas sure is tempting.

They tell me that as the rains start the temperature will fall. So I will keep taking my three cold showers a day and make frequent trips to the swimming pool to deal with the heat. And I am adjusting my work schedule and my expectations to get the important tasks done and follow them up with siestas in the shade. Writing this blog is the first of those tasks today, so I am off to the shade!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Map of Malawi