Friday, October 29, 2010

Palibe Petrol

After a busy and hot week in Lilongwe I woke up anxious to return to Zomba for a relaxing weekend. Then I heard the dreaded words "palibe petrol" (there is no petrol). My ride back to Zomba was in a petrol car, so my plans have changed. I will wait until tomorrow when there is another car heading south that runs on diesel.

Malawi has been experiencing petrol and diesel shortages for the past few months. Added to the electricity blackouts that are occurring almost daily (there is a hum in the background as I type this, a generator running to supply power to the office), it is evident that Malawi is in an energy crisis.

What does that mean for development? Just like my trip back to the south, it is delayed, opportunities are lost and people are frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Map of Malawi